Make a difference with Action with Family Carers! We’re looking for a Volunteering & Carer Engagement Coordinator to join our team. If you are a great communicator with an ability to motivate a team of over 100 volunteers in a variety of roles, this role might be for you. In this new role, you will help shape the growing involvement of volunteers across the whole organisation. You will be responsible for recruiting, training, and retaining volunteers and helping them support positive outcomes for unpaid carers across Essex.
Salary: £25,534 to £27,091 per annum (pro-rata 0.6 FTE £15,320 – £16,255)
Hours of work: 21 hours per week – Flexible days/hours, hybrid office/home working
Location: Essex location with main offices at Maldon, Colchester & Harlow.
Contract: 3 years
Closing date: 5pm, Friday 23rd February 2024.
We will be interviewing applicants on a rolling basis and reserve the right to close the application window if we appoint a suitable candidate.
Action for Family Carers is a well-established Essex-based charity dedicated to supporting unpaid carers and young carers. We’ve been making a positive impact for over 30 years.
You are a people person! You have experience of recruiting and managing volunteers, staff or trainees. You can motivate and inspire and have excellent communication skills. You’re adaptable under pressure, are an excellent logistical planner and multi-tasker and have experience of developing processes and using systems to drive efficiency. You value a supportive workplace, seeking job satisfaction and a chance to make a real difference.
What We Offer
· 35 hour week (Full time equivalent)
· Full induction and relevant training
· Contributory work-based pension scheme
· Access to a 24-hour Employee Assistance Programme
· Flexible working arrangements.
Action for Family Carers is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, volunteers, and service users.
At Action for Family Carers our network of volunteers is crucial in supporting positive outcomes for unpaid Carers across Essex. As the Volunteer & Engagement Coordinator, you will play a pivotal role in shaping the growing involvement of volunteers across the organisation. Your responsibilities include recruiting, supporting, and retaining volunteers, and implementing effective volunteer management processes and systems. You will manage and develop a number of volunteer roles including, volunteers supporting peer support groups, young carers club night assistants, ‘carer voice’ volunteers, volunteer community ambassadors, fundraising volunteers, and administration and support roles.
You will be responsible for continuing to support and develop a strong volunteer culture across the organisation, advocating on behalf of and promoting volunteers at all times.
Recruitment & training
- Drive volunteer recruitment, establishing relationships with key stakeholders and organisations to promote volunteering opportunities.
- Collaborate with Volunteer Centres and forums to attract a diverse range of volunteers.
- Develop and implement an effective volunteer induction and training program to ensure volunteers have the skills needed for high-quality service.
- Match volunteers to opportunities that suit their skill sets, and ensure they understand their responsibilities and receive the proper training.
- Liaise with managers and delivery staff to identify the current and future volunteering needs of the organisation.
Administration & coordination
- Collect and maintain up-to-date volunteer information, availability, and skills in a database.
- Undertake volunteer administration (including DBS checks), coordinate and track volunteer activities.
- Ensure the reimbursement of expenses for volunteers and monitor any costs associated with Volunteers.
- Facilitate carer focus groups and wider carer engagement and regularly report feedback to Management Team.
- Act as a first point of contact for volunteering, getting to know volunteers, what motivates them.
- Manage the process for regularly communicating with volunteers.
- Promote and raise awareness of the Action for Family Carers volunteering programme including by contributing to social media, press releases, newsletter, website content and attending community events and forums.
Policies and procedures
- Support best practice in volunteer management, managing our volunteering policies and procedures, keeping up to date with legislation and policy related to volunteering and making any necessary modifications to accommodate changes.
- Ensure wider team have the information and tools to provide the ongoing support for volunteers.
Monitoring and recognition
- Establish monitoring and evaluation of volunteering activities, including volunteer engagement surveys.
- Recognise volunteers’ contributions and achievement through events and awards.
- Carry out the above and any other duties commensurate with the post, agreed with the CEO and Board of Trustees, in a manner which actively supports and promotes organisational aims.
- Ensuring full compliance with organisational Policies and Procedures.
- Taking responsibility for self-development, identifying learning opportunities and attending relevant training.
A little more about what we are looking for!
- Recruiting, training and managing volunteers or staff.
- Organisational and logistical planning with good attention to detail.
- Building good relationships and networking both internally and externally.
- Managing safeguarding processes and procedures.
- Creating and implementing procedures and using systems for effective management of projects.
- Gathering, collating and analysing monitoring/survey data.
Skills & understanding
- Excellent team building skills and an ability to motivate, mentor and inspire.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Reliable, motivational and empathetic communicator.
- Able to prepare and present both written and oral reports to a high standard.
- A high level of practical and organisational skills.
- Understanding of small charities and collaborative teamwork.
- Good IT skills including Microsoft services. Skills in Customer Relationship Management (CRM) tools desirable, although training will be provided.
Personal Qualities & Attributes
- Relational and collaborative approach to working with others.
- Highly organised, able to plan and be responsible for own workload, set up and maintain effective systems for the management of your work and time.
- A good problem-solver.
- Pro-active, self-motivated and with a can-do attitude.
- Caring, empathetic, patient.
- Familiar with a range of marketing and promotion methods including social media.
- Passion and commitment to the aims and ethos of Action for Family Carers
- Awareness of and sensitivity to the needs and issues faced by unpaid family carers
- Ability to work flexibly, including very occasional attendance at out of hours event
- Own vehicle available for use at work, with appropriate insurance cover
- Commitment to the ethos of equality and diversity
The job holder will need to provide evidence of their ability to work in the UK.