Young Carer School Service
Our School Service provides:
- One-to-one support sessions in school giving Young Carers the opportunity to talk confidentially to somebody who understands.
- Practical support such as providing support in meetings with teachers to explain why, for example, they have fallen behind with their homework.
- Informal drop-in groups where Young Carers can meet others in the same situation and access information and advice.
- Information on how to access Respite Clubs in the local area where Young Carers can meet other young people in the same situation.
- Raising awareness of Young Carers to both staff and students through PSHE lessons, assemblies and Teacher Training.
Our group work in schools includes fun games that involve social skills and sharing of opinions and ideas. These create good friendships and enable the Young Carers to support each other.
We also work with Young Carers who have finished their interaction with agencies who give more intensive or specialist support; they mix with other Young Carers in our groups which greatly facilitates their progress and resilience.