Home 9 Help and Information 9 Transport

Blue Badge

A Blue Badge allows some disabled people to park closer to their destination because they:

  • are less able to walk long distances,
  • are unlikely to be able to use public transport or
  • the person may experience considerable distress and pose a risk to themselves or others,

A Blue Badge can also be available for non-visible (hidden) disabilities such as dementia, autism, ADHD, learning disabilities, mental health conditions. A badge will not be issued on the basis of a diagnosis of a particular condition alone, but because the applicant may:

  • experience very considerable difficulty whilst walking, which may include very considerable psychological distress.
  • are at risk of serious harm when walking or pose a risk of serious harm to any person when walking.

The applicant can travel as either the driver or a passenger. Temporary conditions which are likely to get better in the 3 years the badge is issued for, are not included.

A person can apply themselves or you can apply on their behal and you will be entitled to Road Tax Exemption.

If a Blue badge is issued there may be further concessions which include the Dartford crossing or certain toll roads; it may also include exemption from paying the London Congestion charge.

For more information, eligibility criteria and to apply, visit Essex County Council 

Adult Carer Services

Public transport

By law, all public transport must be accessible for passengers with disabilities.

There is a Passenger Assist service available for older and disabled passengers travelling on the rail network. The train company you are travelling with can arrange assistance, help you get on and off trains and reserve wheelchair spaces and seats. To book Passenger Assist for your next journey you can contact the train company you are starting your journey with. Find out more here.

An Essex companion pass is available for those who have difficulty travelling on a bus without assistance. For more information call 0345 200 0388 or email:

Motability Scheme

If the person you care for is in receipt of certain benefits then they can use some or all of their payments to lease a car or Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle (WAV) to help them get out and about.

You can get a Motability car or vehicle if you’ve been awarded:

  • the higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • the enhanced rate mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP) or War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement

Find out more here:

Guide to Accessible Britain

This free guide provides accessibility information including disabled parking.

Reduction in Road Tax for Vehicles essential for those with a disability

The vehicle must be used only for the person with the illness or disability.  The vehicle must be used only for their direct benefit. The exemption is only for people on Higher Rate DLA Mobility Component (100% exemption) or Standard Mobility (50%) exemption.

Community Transport

Community transport is the term given to passenger transport schemes that are outside the usual travel options.

These schemes help people who are rurally isolated or not easily able to access conventional public transport or with restricted mobility.

Links to community transport local organisations in Essex with contact numbers:

District Website Phone number
Basildon 01268 465858
Braintree 01376 557883
Brentwood 01277 228080
Castle Point 01268 754936
Chelmsford 01245 477789
Colchester 01206 216600
Epping Forest 01992 579556
Harlow 01279 446871
Harwich 01255 552010
Maldon 01621 843164
Rochford 01268 754936
Southend 01702 908888
Tendring 01255 436962
Thurrock 01375 391444
Uttlesford 01371 975797



Other Community Transport schemes may exist in your local borough/district, for further information contact us on 03457 430 430 or email

Please contact the relevant team for further information for details of charges.

More Information